Friday, February 10, 2006

snowhio



I had a rather lengthy commute the other day thanks to heaps and heaps of snow falling on under-salted cobblestones. Thankfully my fellow travelers were all cautious and responsible. We crept along, offering me ample opportunity to ruminate on two things I adore:

1. Watching other drivers drive. This American Life once devoted an entire episode to the concept of a million people in their insulated "million bubbles". Voyeuristic, yes, but it's rather awesome to be able to peek behind the public/private curtain when it's made only of transparent safety glass. Suddenly you are privy to a snapshot of the intricacies of the lives of others - a world rife with joys and complexities you'll never know about (but probably share at some basic level).

Over the miles I've seen people laughing, crying, screaming, fighting, rocking the air drums. Sometimes I wonder what provoked the reactions. Maybe they just received word of something really terrible or really wonderful. Or maybe they're just listening to a really good song by Yo la Tengo.


2. I love it when we get a proper snow and it's faster to walk than drive. It forces observance of things normally missed when whizzing by in one's vehicle. It never fails; I always go into tiny ecstacies over the stark contrast of white snow on black branches.

3 Comments:

Blogger peppermintlisa said...

my favorite observation of another driver driving was that guy, still wearing his construction helmet, ponytail sticking out the back, bopping his head along enthusiastically to whatever music was playing

11:29 PM  
Blogger locus sigilli said...

gosh, i completely forgot about him!

reminds me of the balding-yet-still-rocking-a-defiant-(stringy,alcoholic)-ponytail chap skippering the helm of a rusty 'merican-made behemoth emblazoned with the license plate:

R U 18 YET

4:22 AM  
Blogger kwpershey said...

I had a really strong reaction to a guy I saw driving while on a trip home. We were in Akron on "the" 8 and I saw this guy in a stocking cap, looking kind of cold and bored, and I realized that I feel a frater/soror-ity with other Ohio drivers, but not SoCal drivers. It was a strange way to confirm that Ohio will always be home.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home