Thursday, August 25, 2005

W123, How I Love Thee...



I've never been one for rampant autophilia.
For me, cars have always been a way to get from Point A to Point B, and I've been fortunate/spoiled enough to have been the owner of three pretty darn reliable foreign-made models.

The closest I ever got to having a crush on a car was an old boxy 70s Volvo, angular and ugly. Oh, and that one time where I made eyes at a Dart...but I was just flirting and it didn't really mean anything...

But the first time I saw the movie Rushmore, and spied the leggy blonde Miss Cross drove, well...let's just say my curiosity was piqued.

I paid extra close attention in subsequent viewings over the years, but never did much to pursue, seeing as I was already in a committed relationship with my Toyota and possessed neither the financial means nor the gumption necessary to leave the relationship.

Recently a Highland Square aquaintance trotted out her new/old sedan version of what I had affectionately dubbed the "Miss Crossmobile." I started asking about it, and thus emboldened, did that slightly endearing, slightly stalkerish act that the Internet facilitates so well: I Googled it.

I found out the vehicle that had been haunting my dreams is a Mercedes W123 turbo diesel, manufactured from 1975 to 1985. They are crazy reliable (popularly used as taxi cabs in several post-communist countries), crazy servicable, crazy cheap and crazy gorgeous. And they come in dark brown and dark red (which means it fits right in with my dippy color scheme, joy of joys!)

One user's review referred to the cars as possessing sleeper cool and embassy chic.

(C'mon...I so obviously fit right in with such outstanding examples of white male corporate Ameri--erm--Deutschland!)

All I know is I'm saving my allowance and picking up pennies, regardless of whether heads or tails is sunny side up.

Currently spinning:
The Postal Service ~ Give Up

4 Comments:

Blogger peppermintlisa said...

we are in love with the same car. cat fight!

10:37 PM  
Blogger locus sigilli said...

Are we?
Well, perhaps there is enough love to go around...
isn't car-sharing/carpooling the new polygamy? ;)

1:42 PM  
Blogger locus sigilli said...

p.s. - I completely forgot to mention another element of crazy goodness about the ol' 123 - they can be converted to run on bio-diesel, oh yes...

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a 230e petrol - but today I picked up the Olive Green 'leather' seats. AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaarrgggghhhh! Just let me die now....

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home